Monday, September 03, 2007

Tool, Brixton Academy, London, 22 August 2007

(Pic Source: Tool Official Website)

The fact that I like Tool can be blamed on my friend Josh who had to go and open his big fat mouth and tell me about them. I was perfectly happy going through life not knowing about this progressive metal, experimental, rock, alternative metal, WHATEVER, band! And who knew that the lead singer, Maynard James Keenan (legend...) was friends with Tori Amos.

Of course, by the time I decided to go to their Brixton gig, the damn thing had sold out. Of course, why wouldn't both nights sell out like hot cakes because Tool are fekkin' awesome!!!!! I got my ticket off ebay (UB got his off a friendly tout) and finally, a concert where I wasn't the only one dressed in black!

I am not going to profess to being a Tool expert as I only know a handful of songs. But when you go to a concert and you're completely blown away even though you have limited knowledge of the artist, then you know you're experiencing something truly special and unique. Tool is not for the fainthearted (very, very loud) and the strict no crowd surfing policy (at the band's request apparently) fell on deaf ears (see what I did there??!). Tool's music is something else. Maynard's voice was melodic, controlled, perfection. If you get a chance to listen to Maynard's lyrics (dark, complex, you know, that sort of thing, but don't be fooled, Maynard proved to be quite the joker during the concert when Herman Li of Dragonforce was doing his guitar solo - it involved toilet paper and numbers), well, let's just say he doesn't take the easy route out by rhyming "love" with "dove". For example:

"I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this shit, blood and cum on my hand" - Prison Sex (unfortunately they didn't play this song but here's an old and brilliant live version)

Yes I went straight for the "filth" but I figured I'd get more of a reaction that way!

Click here for an interview with Maynard talking about his lyrics.

OH! Jack Osbourne is apparently a massive Tool fan and he definitely walked past me at the gig. Yup, still a tubster.

I found a good review here.

Sorry there aren't any pictures or videos because at Tool's request, no cameras were allowed. Maynard exlains why.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home