Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Chris Cornell - Roundhouse, London 3 September 2007




Pictures courtesy of Serena Sundai. A complete set can be viewed here


UPDATE: You know it was a good show when Ross Halfin says so (look under "September 3"). He's also uploaded his pictures so check them out here (includes a great shot of Chris and Peter after Peter destroyed his guitar strings!).

Clare O'Brien who runs the brilliant Chris Cornell Fan Page has written a great review of the gig on Subba Cultcha. She's also used an extract of my review here (thanks Clare!).

Just added: Another clip, this time of Cornell singing Seasons. Some idiot thought it would be funny to keep doing "bunny fingers" in front of my camera hence it's shakier than normal. You can hear me go "Oi!" at one stage!


ORIGINAL POST:

Setlist: Silence The Voices/Original Fire/Let Me Drown/Outshined/Show Me How To Live/You Know My Name/No Such Thing/Say Hello To Heaven/Be Yourself/What You Are/Rusty Cage/(Acoustic Set)Billie Jean/Fell On Black Days/Preaching The End of The World/Blow Up The Outside World/Doesn't Remind Me/Cochise/Ty Cobb/Arms Around Your Love/Black Hole Sun/Spoonman/Jesus Christ Pose/Encore)Seasons/Wave Goodbye/Burden In My Hand/Slaves and Bulldozers/Whole Lotta Love

I'm completely deaf but I am on such a high! I knew the gig was going to be good (and I was really looking forward to this one after being completely drenched at Chris' performance at Hyde Park a few months back), but I didn't expect it to be THAT good!

Chris' vocals have never sounded better. Dare I say it, even better than when he was in Audioslave! The crowd gave Chris and his band (his amazing band) a thunderous reception when they came onstage at 9 p.m. And for 2 solid hours, Chris & Co rocked The Roundhouse. I mean, just look at the number of songs he played!

The crowd totally got into it and all the rockers, young and new, were headbanging, screaming and moshing away. It was great to see Chris in such top form and I love that little pout and head movement thing he does when he's rocking away. The entire night was something else but the main highlights for me were: Outshined (one of the BEST live versions ever), Be Yourself (beautiful, Chris said it reminded him of Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall... I assume he meant when the crowd was singing it back to him), Say Hello To Heaven (always wanted to hear it live, especially the final verse!), Fell On Black Days (nice surprise during the acoustic set), Cochise (tore the place up!), Ty Cobb (everyone went mental, ditto with Spoonman), Wave Goodbye (written for Jeff Buckley) and Slaves and Bulldozers (out of this world).

I would have loved to have heard Hunger Strike (again), My Wave and Sunshower, but I'm not complaining, Chris spoiled us enough. Maybe next time (please come back Chris!).

His band was on fire! Special mention goes out to Jason Sutter, the drummer. His drum solos were unbelievable; the sheer force he showcased was outstanding. Corey's a sweetie and really knows how to work the crowd. Peter and Yogi were equally amazing (Tom Morello who?) and at one point during Peter's solo, and with Chris' encouragement, he played so hard that the strings on his guitar snapped. Chris and Peter beamed like proud father and son while the crowd cheered!

Oh, and please note that I respect and love Chris as a singer/songwriter first and foremost but blimey, when he came out in the latter half of the show shirtless (Yogi went shirtless much earlier :) ), all I could think of was... DILF!!! Haha! My mind was going SCHWING! HUBBA HUBBA! If only all men were built like Chris! Check out this short clip of Burden In My Hand and you will understand (notice how I cleverly zoomed in around 7 seconds into the clip):


Chris Cornell, you are the man. You can rock my world any day.

Matt, Ash, Jo and Beebs, glad you guys had a good time! Sorry if I scared you with my screaming and headbanging attempts hehe.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cradle...ha, ha..I have to agree...the shirtless Chris just sent me on a dangerous head spin! That aside, the gig was simply FANTASTIC!! i'd seen a couple of live videos and wasn't expecting his voice to sound that incredible....I was totally blown away, and just felt 17 again!..I totally lost it during Outshined and Jesus Christ Pose, and stamped on everyone's feet as I jumped and went wild! Sorry to anyone in my near vicinity...tried to keep some sort of sense of space...but I just couldn't help myself..totally awesome! Till we meet again!

 
At 5:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent review. I was there too and it was AWESOME! His voice is definatly better than it was in Audioslave, much as I loved them. And you can`t help appreciating a shirtless Chris; it was the first time I`d seen him live, and it was the icing on the cake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home