Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Wailers, Rise Festival 2006, Finsbury Park, London



Go on admit it, the only Bob Marley & The Wailers album you own is "Legend" which is essentially a Greatest Hits album and through which you try and pass yourself off as a knowledgeable Bob Marley fan. We've all done it, the difference is I have the guts to admit it.

Anyway I completely forgot to blog on the fact that I saw The Wailers at last year's Rise Festival. This is because what started out as a great fun day somehow ended up in complete disaster for all of us who attended (for reasons that will remain undisclosed, I ended up in hospital around 3 a.m., Munhoy got yelled at by Owen (who later apologised), Tom, James et al more or less ended up calling each other cunts). So you can understand why blogging was the last thing on my mind.

But there's always a calm before the storm and in this case, it was a nostalgic and astounding performance by The Wailers. Yes, Tuff Gong is no longer with us but his spirit was felt when all the classics were churned out by The Wailers as fronted by Aston “Familyman” Barrett... "Buffalo Soldier", "I Shot The Sheriff", "Redemption Song", "Exodus"... I've always wanted to sing along to the "Everything's gonna be alright" line in "No Woman No Cry" and by gosh I sure did in between retching (long story).

Kids, stay away from Road Runners and Space Cadets.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home